Mark A Pbe

Verified Reviewer

They intentionally lied about my policy to deny a valid claim and then ignored me

Travelers Insurance Company - They intentionally lied about my policy to deny a valid claim and...
Original review Apr 10, 2024

I filed a claim and it is 16 months later and they have ignored me through the entire experience. Not even that, they lied to me about my policy in several areas to incorrectly deny my valid claim and then lied about the statute of limitations to get me to think I was unable to pursue legal ramifications.

The customer service was terrible. They advertise themselves as an ethical organization yet the facts represent a different narrative. They have one of the lowest claim approval rates yet have invested heavily in innovative technology that they claim allows them to focus on less risky customers. Shouldn't those customers result in an increase in claim approvals?

If you read their shareholder letters, you will find the investment is in lawyers. "Our Claim organization comprises nearly 13,000 professionals, including approximately 750 lawyers. They invest to deny claims of customers when they need help the most. That is the opposite of ethical.

I went from living comfortably to running out of money for food each month and they just ignore me. There is not the slightest bit of common courtesy at all.

Pros:
  • I assume the monthly cost is low
Cons:
  • Lie to customers
  • Do not pay valid claims
  • Refuse to respond

Preferred solution: Claim Approved as it shoudl be

User's recommendation: I urge you not to use them. Go elsewhere. If you need to file a claim, you went through something bad and you pay insurance monthly to keep from being ruined. Pay someone with ethics.

Keno B

Verified Reviewer

Denial of legitimate homeowners insurance claim

Travelers Insurance Company - Denial of legitimate homeowners insurance claim

My nightmare began on August 27 2023 when I filed a claim for a complete collapse of the soldier row of bricks over my attached garage fell to the ground over 70 bricks. Travis my adjuster refused to look at all the evidence before making his decision he infact told me to clean up before the inspection.

He continued to!

Violate my rights in many ways the pictures you will see is what he refused three times and after finally accepting them denied again I am a 61 year old disabled veteran with a mental illnesses. Sad thing about it is that my policy states that if it can not be used for its intended purpose it also states that the rule applies to a complete and partial collapse they are denying legal claims and getting away with it but not with me I plan to follow through with legal actions if not resolved soon.

Cons:
  • Worst insurance company in the world in paying and settling claims

Preferred solution: Settle the claim as well as damages for the bad faith act and other laws broken by them

User's recommendation: Stay away from Travelers Insurance until they change towards customers

Guest

You are all quiet now. I guess you finally understand.

Guest

You would be wasting your money pursuing this. Your bricks fell off due to issues over time and that is considered a maintenance issue on your part.

Your bricks did not “collapse”. The collapse your policy is speaking of is any covered event that leads to your house and/or any covered structures fully or partially collapsing. That is not the case here.

Finally the “cannot be used for its intended use” phrase. The brick that fell doesn’t impact the structural integrity of your garage and it can be used as it was prior.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2394764

You need to do your research and you are most likely an employee of Travelers Insurance company trying to cover your mistakes you will be sued. I urge everyone that have had an issue with Travelers to stand up and fight for your rights even if’ it’s just a review Travis good try but it won’t work your time has come to for you to answer your crimes and why don’t you bring your car and park it my garage with your family and take a chance of getting hurt or death that’s what you are telling me to do

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2394884

You could set your money on fire for all I care . I don’t work for them or any insurance company. I just researched things online.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2394913

Agree. Looks like OP found out he is wrong since he is no longer commenting.

View more comments (4)
map-marker Washington, District Of Columbia

Cancelled with very short notice /no

VERY SNEAKY, CANCELLED DUE TO LATE PAYMENT, FAMILY HARDSHIP. MONEY RAN SHORT. I AM DRIVINGING AROUND THINKING I WAS COVERED AND I WAS CANCELLED. LACK OF COMMUNICATION. BAD COMPANY WILL NEVER DEAL WITH THEM AGIAN.DON'T DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THEM.
Philip B Ktm

Verified Reviewer

No phone customer service and surprise billing

Travelers Insurance Company - No phone customer service and surprise billing
Travelers Insurance Company - No phone customer service and surprise billing - Image 2

After getting a full quote from my insurance agent, and paying the full quote,, the company my agent signed me with sent a spam text message to respond to quickly for some intellisense. I didn't even know travelers was the company I had.

I deleted it. Then I got an additional bill for $147 on their website with NO EXPLANATION. It took my agent 3 hours to find out, it was for not accepting their intellisense. Now, let me restate : I was given a FULL insurance quote and then the company billed me after the fact for some service through extremely unethical means.

I could send lots of text messages telling strangers they owe me money.

Get it? Are we getting it yet??

Loss:
Pros:
  • If you believe this right here you ve done a good thing
Cons:
  • Dishonest and unethical

Preferred solution: Price reduction

Guest

My anger is regarding my denial for a much needed surgery. Very scandalous.

The whole lot of them that works in that "love money" industry. From the Employer, Attorneys, Doctors and definitely the State. Oregon in my case. Everyone got their piece of some unseen pie and I'm left with two verified tears in my shoulder Travelers own Doctors denied.

Love your filthy money! But you can't take it with you when you meet your Maker!

Philip B Ktm

This guy is on the money

View more comments (1)
Claire Dxf
map-marker Laveen, Arizona

Workers comp

Youll never get paid dealing with workers comp. Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever. & ever ever ever never never never . Go to report them as soon as you notice no payments coming. Sad. Worst worst worst worst company. Do not recommend
Laurisa Fmw

We have similar problem.They loosing documents and do not disclosure vital to pay benefits information what causes benefits payment holds.

Madeline S Mbm

Unacceptable

We had remediation work to remove water damaged walls and flooring. It has been 3+ months dealing with travelers, we have been left without walls and flooring while we wait on them. The wall between the house and garage has been removed so we have had high temperatures, high humidity, and bugs in the house all summer and we have been sleeping on a mattress on the floor because the bedroom is torn apart. Obviously travelers is aware of our situation and does not care. Absolutely unacceptable. LOOK ELSEWHERE for insurance and if you have travelers, switch before something goes wrong.

Preferred solution: Anything would be better than the “help”I’m getting now.

User's recommendation: DO NOT RECOMMEND

Eric Mog

Horrible Customer Service Experience

Original review Jul 19, 2023
If you are a small business, do not under any circumstance use them for workers comp. They are unorganized and very unethical. They wait until you pay in full then hit you with a laundry list of documentation needed that was not mentioned before. Worse than that they continue to harass you with audits even when you submit documentation. They will waste your time, gaslight you and send mystery bills based on nothing substantial. There are better companies out there.
Cons:
  • Time wasting
  • Unethical
  • Unorganized
map-marker Disputanta, Virginia

Dishonest Company

I cancelled my homeowners policy in April and supposedly Travelers sent me a refund check on May 15 (they had just taken the money out of my escrow). It is now June 15 and I still do not have the check. After numerous calls and getting the runaround I have no idea where to turn next. They owe me $1,792 and now I have to pay my taxes out of pocket because my escrow is short due to their negligence.

User's recommendation: Stay away from this dishonest company at all costs!

Mark B Xhu

| map-marker Richardson, Texas

Workers Compensation-Use of falsified reports. One Parry Consent States

Travelers Insurance Company - Workers Compensation-Use of falsified reports. One Parry Consent...
Travelers Insurance Company - Workers Compensation-Use of falsified reports. One Parry... - Image 2
Travelers Insurance Company - Workers Compensation-Use of falsified reports. One Parry... - Image 3
Travelers Insurance Company - Workers Compensation-Use of falsified reports. One Parry... - Image 4
Travelers Insurance Company - Workers Compensation-Use of falsified reports. One Parry... - Image 5

Update by user Feb 07, 2022

After posting this and other online reviews, the carrier removed a compensable injury forcing a dispute. This specific dispute is still ongoing after the 84 year old designated doctor handed me a peer review obtained by Travelers Insurance.

After a detailed review of the document, it revealed that the peer review contained inaccurate and false information specifically regarding my symptoms from my initial visit at the Concentra Medical Clinic where Travelers Insurance scheduled and sent me to after my workplace injury.

The medical report from Concentra was relied upon heavily for this 82 year old's peer review of my medical records. What Travelers and Concentra were unaware was that Texas is a one party consent state which means that as a patient you have the right to record a clinical encounter with your doctor without their knowledge or permission. I recorded every clinical encounter on my claim as permitted by federal law in a one party consent state and it revealed that Concentra doctor lied on my report to the carrier and once I provided the recording to Concentra and requested an amendment, I was able to get my Surgery approved and finally received Surgery on November 11th, 2021.

Travelers Insurance will knowingly obtain peer reviews containing false and inaccurate information and present them to designated doctors that have limited qualifications to sway the doctors opinion. The Texas Department of Insurance has already confirmed allegations of inappropriate behavior by Travelers on my Claim, and there are now another 4 complaints pending to The Texas Department of Insurance.

In April 2021 I spoke with State Rep Chris Turner via zoom and received an apology and an assurance that my claim would be fully reviewed once adjudicated. As I stated in my initial review this carriers only intentions are to downplay injured workers conditions to lower impairment ratings all while injured workers suffer and conditions worsen.

I hope my claim will assist other injured workers in the future and to prevent them from receiving the same deceptive services that this carrier preys upon injured workers daily. In one party consent states, you have a federal right to record any clinical encounters without the doctors permission or knowledge. I highly recommend doing so and comparing the records from and initial exams that the carrier sends you too.

Check the records for accuracy versus the symptoms you actually told them because this will be used against you later.

Best of Luck because if you are reading this then there is a good chance you are going through the same nightmare as me!

Update by Mark Sep 21, 2020

Since posting online reviews, Travelers is retaliating and further attempting to manipulate the Texas workers compensation system by removing an accepted compensable injury from my claim 13 months after the claim was implemented. I sent an email to corporate complaining of mistakes made by my adjuster and instead of communicating regarding said issues, they are further trying to manipulate the system by attempting to downplay my workplace injury further to prevent me from obtaining the appropriate medical care for my condition in a timely manner.

Original Review August 22nd 2020

***if you are injured especially in TEXAS at work and need to file a worker's compensation claim, you better hope Travelers is not the carrier. They will only attempt to downplay your workplace injuries in an attempt to save money with lower impairment ratings.

All while letting injured workers suffer in pain while workplace injuries worsen.

Ive had adjusters submit wrong Information to the state, input my information wrong into the Travelers portal, so I didnt have access, and tell me it was my responsibility to get corrected. Theyve denied procedures/treatments only for me to pay for out of pocket, and that procedure clearly showed worsening of my workplace injuries.

And then they still refused to pay for the procedure they denied.

My saving grace is technology in 2020 and the ability to protect myself against companies that only want to save a buck at the expense of an injured worker.

Truly sad in 2020 to receive a different standard of care and treatment due to the fact your claim is being paid through worker's compensation.

Please, if you are having to utilize workers compensation though this company, protect yourself at all costs, as this company has zero interest in protecting your health.

****TIP**** I used a company online to assist in low-cost MRI/X-rays after Travelers denied the request.

Search the web if denied for a MRI/X-ray request, and companies such as Radiology Assist can set you up for a low-cost procedure.

If I hadnt paid out of pocket and proved my injury he indeed worsened, there is a good chance the doctor that Travelers sent me to would have stated I was at MMI. Instead, I proved my condition had indeed gone from a mild to acute condition and now I continue to attempt to get the appropriate medical care in a timely manner for my condition!

Best of luck to anyone else experiencing this nightmare experience of having to deal with Travelers Workers Compensation.

Preferred solution: Apology

User's recommendation: Protect yourself at all costs. Review all medical records for accuracy especially initial exam reports.

Judyann Xmh

I experienced the same thing with the same bad actors, but I'm from Oregon. Now I feel twice as screwed.

I am still in need of surgery. Everyone is against the Injured Worker when they're in Travelers pocket.

Guest

Travelers insurance are a bunch of crooks

View more comments (1)
Linda Shaw S

Cancel policy

We have our homeowner's policy with another company, therefore we wanted all policies to be together!
Pros:
  • Good company
Cons:
  • That i can think of

Preferred solution: Price reduction

Henrietta A Omi

Very Unhappy Customer

I canceled my homeowners insurance with travelers, a month ago but they still billed my mortgage company.. my mortgage company paid them now Im fighting to get the money..

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Never use this company

Stella S Lqt
map-marker New York, New York

Lying, Thieving, Deceitful, Con-Artists, Snakeoil Salesmen Denying Every Claim

Whatever you do, never purchase Business Owners Insurance from Travelers Insurance Company, because these con-artists will weasel out of every claim that you could possibly provide.

They are liars, cheaters, thieves, *** and deceivers.

They will take your premiums each and every month, but then not cover you when you need their assistance the most.

The especially worst Claims Analyst there, is Janet Trajbar, sometimes called Janet Trash-bar by those around her back.

This woman Janet Trajbar epitomizes everything thats wrong with the property and liability insurance industry, especially at Travelers Insurance.

So do you yourself a favor and skip by, when Travelers Insurance name comes up when its time to choose an insurance policy.

Loss:
Pros:
  • Nice corporate logo of an umbrella
Cons:
  • Lie cheat steal weasel out of coverage and are expensive

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Pass Them By...

What exactly happened?

Glenn R Bqb

| map-marker Washington, District Of Columbia

Travelers underwrites Geico, but does Not care how Geico treats customers, as long as they get business

Geico canceled my homeowner's policy through Travelers and re-wrote my policy without my knowledge or consent. I have been arguing for a month with Geico to reinstate my original policy, but they refuse to do so, saying "I called and told them to change this".

The only change I made to this policy was to add an endorsement for underground water and sewer pipe coverage for $30.00 and the day after I added it, I noticed they actually screwed that up, and added some worthless Home Appliance warranty as well I never knew they even had. That I had removed the next day. The thing is, I added this over a month after the endorsement. When I called asking why they had changed it, all of them kept telling me, because Travelers no longer offered that deductible.

The last person I asked told me something much different. She said, when I asked about this endorsement which was about the time they did change it, she went to underwriting to see if it could be added and they told her it cant be added to that policy, so on her own, she canceled my policy and re-wrote it, now being this new policy. This just made me realize what she told me contradicts all of this, because the original policy was written about 6 weeks before I actually called to add this endorsement but I did call Geico asking about this endorsement a couple of times before I actually added it. It now seems that since I asked for this underground water and sewer pipe endorsement, which I learned after the fact that they went to underwriting and was told that they could not add it to my current policy, so on their own, canceled my policy, rewrote it which raised my deductible from $500.00 to $1000.00,and lowered the other coverage's a lot.

The bottom line is, I did not change my policy nor ask them to. I have been with Geico for 47 years, and now I find they treat customers like this! I always knew customer service on claims was terrible even though it not my fault, I figured most were. When you call, you get a recording saying they record some calls, but when I asked them for any recording that says, I told them to change my policy, they do not have any.

Since Travelers is the Parent Company Geico represents, I contacted them to inform them what Geico did.

I contacted Several people at Travelers, but only one called me back and to inform me they sent it to Geico and asked for the highest supervisor to call me in the next 12 hours. They also said, Travelers has no say in Geico's policies or how they conduct business. I do not think any company who allows another company who represents them would allow the other company to be unethical, lie, cheat or do anything that would give them a bad name. I would have considered canceling my policy with Travelers and buying a New policy direct from Travelers, but not when they have this attitude,.

I only contacted Travelers to give them a chance to help me correct what Geico did before I gave them a review. I thought they might care, but I now see they do not.

I wrote a separate review on Geico I am pasting below:

GEICO / Travelers: I recently learned GEICO canceled my homeowners Policy and rewrote it under a new policy, raised my deductible from $500.00 to $1000.00, lowered my Personal Property from about $180K to $142K and my Other Structures from about $26K down to $14K.

My Premium was about $787.00 now $636.00. What they added or increased is the dwelling cost to rebuild, that was about $260K up to $285K. So for $150.00 savings a year, I gave up about $63,986.00 of insurance coverage and raised my deductible to $1000.00.

So, now I will have to pay an extra $500.00 if I had a claim to save only $150.00?

THIS I WOULD NEVER DO!!! Lose-Lose! I first noticed that my $500.00 was changed to $1000.00 and called GEICO and asked them when it changed because I do not normally look at this kind of thing because I rarely ever change my policies, but the man who I spoke with could not seam to find this answer, and conveniently I was disconnected. I went to my files and pulled each one until I saw it and found it was only the month before.

I called GEICO several times, each time speaking to other customer service people, but all they kept telling me is Travelers no longer offers a $500.00 deductible.

I called Travelers direct and asked them if they offered it and if not, why would it not be Grandfathers in, and they replied, that normally it would be unless the State does not allow it.

I have been arguing with GEICO and TRAVELERS now for about a month and all they tell me is I can't have my original policy back because they do not offer a $500.00 deductible anymore. I filed a complaint with the insurance commission in Maryland, and they really cannot do anything because it is my word against theirs! GEICO says they "may" record the calls when you connect, but when I ask them for any recording of me asking them to lower my Premium or cancel my policy, now they say, we do not record all calls.

I guess they are very selective or what is convenient for them. I have been with GEICO since 1975 or 47 years for my vehicles and over 25 years for homeowners.

I rarely check prices because the few times I have, most were about the same or a few dollars different. As for being easy to deal with on a claim though, they have been a real pain in the butt every time, and you have to argue with them through the process in order to get paid.

After all of this, you may get what you should if you're lucky.

Now they have written a fiction account of what happened, and it all sounds great, but it's all lies!

This year I did check my auto policy with the Hartford since I have been with AARP for a few years, and I was sort of shocked to find them several hundred lower than GEICO and gave a lot more in coverage, and a disappearing deductible. I did call GEICO and told them about this and gave them the chance to meet it, and they were able to in price but not the higher coverage, but I stayed with them since they came half way. This is something you should not have to do.

They should know the market and make sure you get the best price.

I suggest that if you have GEICO, to check prices every year because if the policies change in your State making it lower. Don't count on them telling you. Now that this happened, I can no longer trust Geico or Travelers. I am so fed up with speaking to all of them.

When I learned what they sent the insurance commission today and was told a few weeks ago by a woman at Travelers that she will look into this whole issue and would get back to me, but has not.

I called Travelers again to try and find this woman, but No Luck! But as always, another woman asked what she can do and promised to get back to me in 24 hours. Let's just say, I am not holding my breath and if or when she does get back to me, I doubt I will like the answer.

It seems they are there to wear you down, so you get so annoyed you just give up. IT IS TIME FOR A CHANGE.

Since Warren Buffett owns GEICO,

I was told when calling about Motorcycle insurance that Warren Buffett likes Harley's, and wanted to make sure motorcycle insurance is low.

I have been with Progressive Insurance for over 10 years and each year I call Geico about this and every year Geico is double what I pay being with Progressive! I have had one claim with Progressive, and they paid it right away and no problems.

Buffett will surely survive without me, and I can without him.

It is now evident to dump Geico & Travelers stock and cut your losses!

What is amazing of how all of this came about is, I called GEICO about adding the underground sewer and water pipe coverage. After speaking to Geico a few times and the water company and their insurance partner and some plumbers, I called Geico to add the endorsement for $30.00. For what ever reason and what I have learned since I called, my original policy did not allow them to add this to that policy, so without my knowledge or approval they cancelled my it and wrote a new policy and now are saying, I told them to do this, and I approved this.

I used to have a $250.00 Deductible and because I never received the bill years ago, my policy lapsed, and I had to get it with the $500.00 deductible!

I want low deductibles and even on my vehicles I have zero deductible for windshields etc. as long as I can recall. I also found when I did add the underground pipe endorsement, they also added an appliance coverage that I knew nothing about or that they even sold one. I learned this when I saw the extra $10.00 to my charge and wondered if they made an error.

When I called they told me about this appliance coverage and since I was on the phone, said, may as well find out about it and when they told me it had a $500.00 deductible and covered a chain saw, I said to her, I have 5 chain saws and repair this kind of equipment as a hobby and cannot even think of one that costs $500.00 new that someone can buy for the home.

Echo and Stihl saws are the more expensive than most and are better but unless it is a very special model, most will cost under $500.00 and with a $500.00 why even tell people they will cover a chain saw when in reality it will not!

Very Misleading!

If you are over 50 years old and have AARP, I suggest that you call the Hartford.

This has been a real eye-opener, and now know I could have been saving hundreds on insurance over the years, if I had changed before. When I got my quote from Geico to match Hartford, I was also receiving an extra discount with Geico since I had two policies with them, so if I have both polices with the Hartford, it should be even less with The Hartford.

I find what Geico and Travelers did despicable!

Loss:
Cons:
  • Do not return calls
  • Allow geico to change your policy without your consent
  • Tell you one thing and do another

User's recommendation: Stay Away from Both GEICO & Travelers Unless you want Problems

Insurance Expert Talks

Exposed: Types of Insurance Scams and Fails

Mar 7, 2021

In this video interview, Charles R. Gallagher, an attorney, explains what sort of insurance fraud happens with consumers. Find out more about insurance fraud, the worst cases discovered, and how to protect yourself from insurance scam.

Read full article
Charles
Charles

Charles R. Gallagher, an attorney and managing partner with Gallagher & Associates. His practice focuses on insurance litigation, foreclosure defense and consumer law.

map-marker Lebanon, Oregon

Home owners insurance

It's Browning and Browning insurance agent. The one in medford. I talked to Marta once. To get home owners insurance. She said she would send me an email to look it over. I've never received it. I have called numerous times and left messages. But no one will return my calls.
map-marker Saint Petersburg, Florida

Theyre crooks

I was injured at work , they accepted the claim even though the agent was very unprofessional, i wasnt able to return to work and they refused to pay me my benefits ! Now i have to deal with going to court just for them to start paying me the money they owe!!!!
Guest

Good luck , I'm going on 3 years, with no pay, they jack you around and leave you hanging, this company sucks,

map-marker Stafford, England

No cash back has been tracked

I took out a travel insurance with Quidco compare travel insurance with I bought yesterday, I havent received any notification to say my £18 has been tracked. My name is Mrs k maybury and my email is kimmaybury@***.com. Will you advise me what is happening to this. Many thanks K maybury

About

Summary

When it comes to unknown future and uncertain possible problems and accidents, people try to protect themselves from all possible contingencies. That's why insurance field is so perspective and asked-for. Travelers is one of the U.S. largest and leading property casualty companies founded more than 150 years ago. It offers its customers 22 product lines referred to individual, business, financial and international insurance segments. Travelers' main mission is minimizing risk, preventing loss and helping its customers to be ready to the unknown future. There is no better proof of Travelers dedication to main purpose is protecting customers from loss - than its keeping step with innovation and readiness to transform the industry.

Travelers Insurance Company reviews and complaints

Travelers Insurance Company is ranked 381 out of 1802 in Insurance category

Payment Methods

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article